Paediatric Neurology and Neurodisability at the Great North Children’s Hospital:
Reasons why it’s Great!
- Great training opportunities! Paediatric EEG meeting, neuroradiology meeting, weekly educational meeting, weekly Grand Round and lots of opportunities for ward and clinic experience, attracting great GRID trainees to keep us on our toes. We encourage ERASMUS students, vacation students and student selected component (SSC) students to come and join us.
- Great vision! The paediatric neurology and neurodisability team is growing – we are building capacity for better access to neurological services and making available the very latest treatments and clinical trials for children in the North East of England.
- Great leadership! Paediatric neurologists at GNCH run nationally commissioned services for neuromuscular disease and mitochondrial disorders, represent paediatric neurology and neurodisability on national Commissioning Reference Groups (Neurology and Metabolic) and maintain a highly prominent profile within the British Paediatric Neurology Association.
- Great care! Ward 1B has a team of highly skilled nurses, therapists and doctors dedicated to the care and inpatient management of children with neurological conditions.
- Great environment! Ward 1B is a state-of-the-art modern ward with 9 cubicles and a 4 bedded bay area equipped with dedicated videotelemetry facilities, sensory room and a rehab robot!
- Great cross-speciality working! Colleagues in general and specialty paediatrics provide excellent support and there are especially close links with paediatric intensive care, immunology, neuro-oncology and neurosurgery as well as with adult neurology services
- Great networks! Northern Neurodisability Network; PENNEC (for epilepsy) – come to our meetings and see!
And finally…..Great Postcode! The Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle upon Tyne is to our knowledge the only hospital in the world to have a neurological postcode #NE1 4LP
Training in our region
For more information on the team see our GNCH web page: http://www.newcastle-hospitals.org.uk/services/childrens_meet-the-team.aspx
British Paediatric Neurology Association (BPNA) website for more information about UK paediatric neurology