- This event has passed.
BPNA PET3 Course
February 22, 2018 - February 23, 2018£340
BPNA PET3 Course
Newcastle – 22-23 February 2018
Book your place at: https://www.bpna.org.uk/ecomm_product_view.php?courseid=266
PET2 & 3 have been developed to improve practice within childhood epilepsies.
It is suitable for those involved in delivering secondary level care to children with epilepsy, particularly those with a lead role in childhood epilepsy.
By the end of PET3, participants will be able to:
- To understand reflex seizures and photosensitivity
- To consider common and relevant diagnostic issues regarding episodes with headache and/or visual symptoms
- To consider common and relevant diagnostic issues regarding nocturnal episodes
- To consider presentations and differentials of episodes presenting as altered behaviour
- To appreciate the variety and limitations of the available evidence for making an informed choice of anticonvulsant
- To consider evidence base and treatment options applied to ‘real life’ scenarios
- To explore different therapies which help children with ‘drug resistant epilepsy’
- To improve our knowledge of regulation, risks and reasonable precaution
- To discuss case studies in which epilepsy presents later in childhood and adolescence
- To consider the risk of death and AEDs in pregnancy
- To reflect on a range of strategies regarding risk communication
- To discuss the importance of recognising common associated conditions in children with epilepsies
- To consider effective communication strategies with young people and their families about their epilepsy and related issues
- To explore the role of the clinician and specialist nurse in promoting independence of the young person
- To be able to discuss risks and benefits of AED withdrawal